The Association of Journalists of Macedonia
In order to promote the activities of the Association of Journalists of Macedonia in the context of alignment to the requirements for a more efficient and appropriate representation of the members’ interests and to promote the social and legal environment for work and development of the profession of journalism, this Statute regulates the basic and specific principles, organization, acting, representation of the Association of Journalists of Macedonia in accordance with the membership’s interests and positive law.
- GENERAL PROVISIONS
The Association of Journalists of Macedonia is a citizens’ association established through free association of the journalists in the Republic of Macedonia aiming at pursuing of professional interests concerning protection of law and freedom of the profession, public information and strengthening of professional independence and ethics.
The Association of Journalists of Macedonia shall operate on the territory of the Republic of Macedonia and it shall be an independent, autonomous, non-governmental, non-party and non-profit association of voluntarily associated journalists that act on or from the Republic of Macedonia’s territory.
The Association of Journalists of Macedonia shall pursue its objectives, tasks and activities in accordance with the Constitution and laws of the Republic of Macedonia as well as with the Statute of the Association of Journalists of Macedonia.
The full name of the Association is: Здружение на новинарите на Македонија
The short name shall be ЗНМ.
The full name of the Association in English, written in the Latin alphabet shall be: Association of Journalists of Macedonia.
The headquarters of the Association of Journalists of Macedonia is based in Skopje.
The Association of Journalists of Macedonia shall act as a legal entity.
The Association of Journalists of Macedonia shall have its own seal and stamp.
The seal shall be round and embossed with the text: Association of Journalists of Macedonia – Skopje. The emblem of the AJM shall be embossed in the middle.
The AJM shall have a rectangular stamp containing the text of the name and emblem of the AJM .
The AJM shall have its own emblem.
The AJM shall keep a public register of its members that is updated regularly.
The Association of Journalists of Macedonia shall be represented by its President.
The work of the Association of Journalists of Macedonia shall be public.
The public character of the work shall be provided through regular notification of the members of the AJM, by insight in the implementation of program tasks, by submitting reports on the work to the AJM organs and bodies as well as reports on the material and financial operations.
The public character of the work shall be also provided and applied through public information, as well as submission of materials at meetings through the existing organs and bodies of the AJM, e-mail communication with the membership and the AJM’s web site.
The general objective and task of the AJM shall be acting through all permissible forms in the context of promotion of the social and legal environment for development and existence of journalism and the profession of journalism.
The specific tasks and objectives of the AJM shall be:
- To defend media freedom;
- To act against abuse of the media, creation of monopolies and any forms of censorship;
- To protect journalists from abuse by media owners;
- To protect the reputation and dignity of the journalists and the profession of journalism;
- To protect and encourage freedom of critical and creative spirit;
- To advance professional and ethical standards;
- To advance the journalists’ social and material status;
- To represent the members and present them to the social community, to participate actively in the preparation of legal regulations and international events in the interest of the profession and to defend professional interests in accordance with the Code of Journalists of Macedonia;
- To provide legal aid to its members.
The protection of freedom, rights and interests of the journalists shall be achieved through:
- Public protest;
- Informing of domestic and international organizations, institutions and media;
- Information boycott;
- Information silence;
- Issuing a protest call.
The objectives of the Association of Journalists of Macedonia shall be pursued through:
- Cooperation with unions covering the journalists in Republic of Macedonia;
- Cooperation with civil society organizations and public institutions for for development of information in the country and abroad;
- Cooperation and membership in international journalists’ associations and journalists’ unions, as well as with journalists’ association of certain countries;
- Provision of legal aid for protection of the professional and material status and dignity of the journalist, their independence and right to individual expression;
- Provision of funds for social and material assistance to the journalists that can be used by approval of the Management Board of the AJM;
- Development of cooperation and professional and collegial solidarity among the journalists and media;
- Organisation of expert and scientific gatherings and encouragement of expert and professional education.
III. MEMBERSHIP, RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS
Journalists in the Republic of Macedonia that fulfill the membership conditions in accordance with this Statute and the Association of Journalists of Macedonia’s acts can be a member of the AJM.
The Association of Journalists of Macedonia has regular, honorary and associate members.
A journalist that has at least one year of journalism experience can become a regular member.
Associate members can be persons employed by public institutions, civil society organizations, publicists, and other people who are occasionally involved in journalism. .
The AJM shall also admit honorary members, by a decision of the majority of the members of the Management Board. Foreign nationals can be honorary members as well.
Both, regular and associate memberships shall be set up on the basis of a voluntary signed written statement-application and by issuing of a membership card.
The decision on admission of members is made by the Management Board of the AJM with majority vote, upon a written proposal of the Membership and Organization Commission that shall give opinion on the membership proposal. The Management Board’s decision can be appealed before the Assembly of the AJM.
If a regular member of the AJM ceases to be eligible for membership under Art. 12 p. 1, and fulfills the conditions for associate member referred to in paragraph 1. 2, automatically becomes an associate member, unless this is contrary to the journalistic profession.Article 15
Retired journalists shall retain the status of regular members.
Provided a regular member of the AJM becomes unemployed, shall retain the status of regular member as long as it is unemployed.
Journalists that have been regular members for 20 years but stopped performing professional journalism work can remain as associate members of AJM.
Macedonian citizens residing abroad on a temporary or permanent basis and perform professional journalism work, as well as and Macedonian citizens with permanent residence in Macedonia and which are working for foreign media can become regular members of the AJM.
The defining the conditions and method of membership, membership categories, rights and obligations deriving from the membership, the transition from one type of membership to another, the membership fee and the manner of termination of membership, as well as other conditions which may change the status of the member will be regulated in a separate Rulebook on Membership and Membership fees.
The term ‘journalism’ in this Statute and the acts of the Association, implies:
- Published written, spoken, graphical or on line articles: report, news, commentary (note or review, social chronicle, article, review ), critique, cartoon, essay, interview, reportage, travelogue, short descriptions, as well as titles, announcements and editing;
- Organisation and texts editing
- Editing affairs within the editorial boards of the print and electronic media and news agencies, as well as the internet portals;
- Informing through photography, electronic image, film and cartoon published by professional photo reporters, camerapersons and cartoonists, provided those are their main occupations.
The rights of the regular members of the AJM shall be:
- To elect or be elected by the AJM organs and bodies;
- To express opinions and stands on the work of the AJM organs and bodies;
- To own a membership card of the AJM and the International Federation of Journalists (IFJ);
- To use the legal protection provided by the AJM;
- To use the AJM’s funds in accordance with the acts of those funds;
- To use the benefits provided by the AJM and the IFJ;
- To use the expert assistance provided by the AJM.
Associate members have the right to submit opinions to the AJM Assembly on the work of AJM bodies and bodies, to use legal protection for journalistic work, and to hold a membership card of AJM and the International Journalism Federation. Associate members have no right to decide on the Statute of AJM and to vote for the election of AJM organs, nor to elect or be elected. Associate status is indicated in the AJM membership card.
Honorary members shall be entitled to monitor the work of the AJM Assembly of the but they shall not be entitled to have representatives in the Assembly of the AJM and take part in the decision-making process. The honorary member status shall be noted in the membership card of the AJM.
The obligations of the AJM member shall be;
- To perform their professional duty conscientiously, respecting the Code of Journalists of Macedonia, the Statute of AJM and the decisions of its bodies and bodies ;
- Pay their membership fee on a regular basis;
- Observe the obligations deriving from the AJM’s membership in the International Federation of Journalists and other international associations.
The membership in the AJM shall be terminated on the basis of:
- Voluntary leave of the AJM and returning the journalist’s identity document;
- Non-payment of membership fee;
- Non-fulfillment of obligations anticipated by the AJM membership;
- In the event of loss of business capacity or in the event of a final criminal conviction for an offense making it unworthy of membership in AJM.
Due to justified reasons the member may be exempted from paying membership dues, which shall be decided upon by the Membership Committee.
The decision on termination of membership in the AJM shall be made by majority vote of the AJM Management Board in accordance with its own proposal, a proposal of the Regional Centre or the AJM Council of Honour. The Management Board’s decision can be appealed before the Assembly of the AJM at its following meeting.
The termination of membership in the AJM shall not imply, on any grounds exemption from arrears towards the AJM.
- AJM FUNDING
The AJM generates funds through:
- Membership fees;
- Legal entities established by AJM;Projects and grants;
- Public authorizations;
- Own sources;
- Other services and sources allowed by positive law;
The use and management of the funds of the AJM shall be carried out in a manner determined by this Statute.
- AJM MANAGEMENT
AJM is governed by the membership directly and through its elected representatives in the AJM bodies.
The AJM bodies shall be:
- The Assembly;
- The Management Board;
- The President;
- The Supervisory Board;
- The Council of Honour;
- The working groups and other bodies founded by the organs of the Association of Journalists of Macedonia within the frameworks of their competences, which can act as permanent and temporary.
The rights and obligations of the elected members of the Organs of the AJM shall be:
- To apply the this Statute’s provisions;
- To represent the interests and stands of membership;
- To contribute to the development of the AJM;
- Propose and solve issues of common interest;
- To work on carrying out of common and other activities deriving from the Statute;
V.1. AJM ASSEMBLY
The Assembly is the highest management body of AJM.
The Assembly shall consist of all regular members of the AJM.
The Assembly shall work at sessions in accordance with this Statute and Rulebook on the Work of the Assembly, which further defines the conditions, manners, necessary majority and the convening, working and decision-making procedures of the Assembly and election of persons, organs and bodies under its competence.
The Rulebook shall be prepared and proposed by the Management Board and it shall be adopted by the Assembly.
The Assembly shall be convened through a public general call to the membership.
The Assembly can be convened as:
- A regular non-election assembly;
- A regular election assembly;
- Extraordinary election Assembly
- Extraordinary non- election Assembly
The regular election assembly of the AJM shall be convened once in four years for election of a President, members of the Management Board, Council of Honour and Supervisory Board.
The regular non-election assembly of the AJM shall be convened at least once a year.
The extraordinary non-election or election Assembly shall be convened according to needs.
The quorum necessary for the work of the Regular and Extraordinary election Assembly and adoption of valid decisions shall be secured through presence of at least 15 % of the total number of members of the AJM
The quorum necessary for the work of the Regular and Extraordinary non-election assembly and adoption of valid decisions shall be secured through presence of at least 15 % of the total number of members of the AJM.
The Assembly shall make its decisions through a voting process.
The voting shall be public, except for the procedure for election of President, members of the Management Board, Council of Honour and Supervisory Board, when the voting shall be secret.
As an exception, the Assembly may decide, in addition to the decisions referred to in paragraph 2 of this Article, to be subject to secret ballot.
The decision on secret voting referred to in paragraph 3 of this Article shall be made by public vote.
The decisions shall be made by a majority vote of the persons that are present, provided the Rulebook on the Work of the Assembly does not anticipate differently.
The decision on termination of the AJM shall be made through a two-thirds majority vote of the total number of regular members.
The nomination and the election of the President of the AJM, the members of the Board of Directors, the Council of Honor and the Supervisory Board are carried out in special nomination and voting procedures determined by the respective special Rulebooks and the Rules of Procedure of the Assembly.
The President of the AJM shall be elected with the majority of votes of the members present at the election assembly.
The Presidents of the Council of Honour and the Supervisory Board shall be elected from the ranks of their members in a procedure and manner determined by the Rulebook on Election and Work of the Council of Honour and Rulebook on Election and Work of the Supervisory Board, respectively.
Member of the Management Board, Supervisory Board and Council of Honour are elected with majority of votes by the members present at the election Assembly.
In order to reach balance between the elected organs and bodies within the Association, the nomination and election of officials, organs and bodies shall pay special attention to the proper ethnic, gender and regional representation of the candidates
The AJM Assembly shall:
- Adopt a Statute of the Association and carry out its modifications and amendments;
- Elect and dismiss the AJM President, members of the Management Board, members of the Supervisory Board and the Council of Honour;
- Adopt a Rulebook on Work, rulebooks and other acts;
- Adopts a Strategy for a three-year period Adopts a Financial Plan, a decision on disposal and transfer of funds, and adopts AJM’s Financial Operations Audit;• Reviews and adopts the report of the Board of Directors, the President, the Supervisory Board and the Council of Honor;
- • Adopts acts, decisions, conclusions and recommendations for resolving AJM issues;
- Establishes recognitions and awards and, upon proposal of the Management Board, adopts acts with criteria and procedure for their award;
- Adopt a decision on termination of the Association by a two-thirds majority vote of all members;
- Decide on appeals;
- Decide on other issues in the interest of AJM ;
- Decides on the disposal of durable material goods in a manner and procedure prescribed by a separate act.
A Regular election and non-election or a Extraordinary election and non-election Assembly shall be convened by the AJM President.
A Regular election and non-election or extraordinary election and non-election Assembly shall convene upon:
- Written proposal of at least two thirds of the members of the AJM Management Board;
- Written proposal of at least two thirds of the members of the AJM Supervisory Board;
Provided one third of the members of AJM issue a written proposal for convening of Regular or Election Assembly, the AJM President shall be obliged to convene a Regular or Election Assembly within 15 days since the issuance of the proposal that shall be held within 60 days after the submission of the initiative.
Provided the President does not convene a session within 15 days after the proposal is issued, the session shall be convened by the Management Board with the support of at least two thirds of its members.
V.2. AJM MANAGEMENT BOARD
The Management Board shall consist of 11 members. It shall be consisted of the AJM President and ten members elected by the Assembly through a secret voting procedure.
The Management Board members shall have a four-year term, with the possibility for re-election.
The term shall be indivisible. In the event of early termination of a Management Board membership of a certain member, new Management Board member would replace and shall complete their term.
The Management Board may operate validly if the number of its members does not fall below seven, which is considered to be the dissolution of the Board.
The AJM President shall also be the President of the Management Board.
The Management Board shall authorize a deputy of the President of the Management Board from the ranks of its own membership that shall replace the President of the Management Board in the event of absence or temporary disability.
The Management Board shall be accountable for its work before the AJM Assembly
The Management Board shall hold meetings according to requirements, at least four times a year.
The Management Board’s session shall be convened by the AJM President or, provided President is absent, the authorized deputy President.
The manner of the work and decision-making of the Management Board shall be regulated by the Rulebook on Election and Work of the Management Board.
The Management Board shall:
- Implement the statutory and programme tasks of AJM, as well as the Assembly’s decisions and conclusions;
- Adopt Annual Work Programme;
- Propose modifications and amendments to the Statute;
- Convene a session of the AJM’s Assembly in accordance with the Statute;
- Prepares and submits to the Assembly Financial Plan and AJM Annual Balance Sheet of the Association as well as an Auditor’s Report;
- Adopt rulebooks and decisions on acceptance of agreements;
- Adopt a decision on the amount of the membership fee;
- Adopts decisions on the establishment of legal entities, in accordance with the law; Elects, appoint and dismiss the AJM’s Executive Director through a public competition by a majority votes of the Management Board members;
- Adopt decisions on admission and termination of AJM membership upon a proposal of the Membership Commission;
- Adopt decisions on establishing of constant and temporary working bodies and direct their work;
- Adopt decisions on procurement and transfer of basic funds for AJM’s, printing of professional literature and other needs;
- By nomination of the regular AJM members in the Regional Centers, at least two candidates shall be appointed Coordinators of the AJM Regional Centers for a term of four years. In case of non-implementation of the AJM Program and / or non-compliance with the Statute and / or Code of the AJM, by a majority vote of the members of the MB, the MB may be dismissed by the appointed coordinator prior to the expiry of his / her mandate;
- Establish expert office of the AJM and adopt a Rulebook on the Work of the Expert Office upon a proposal of the Executive Director;
- Realizes international cooperation with AJM;
- Carry out the AJM’s international cooperation;
- Adopt additional other decisions deriving from current operations.
The Management Board shall establish the following permanent working bodies:
- Membership Commission;
- Legal Affairs Commission;
The Commissions shall consist of three to five members and the Management Board shall decide on their draft-decisions.
V.3. AJM PRESIDENT
A person that has fulfilled all obligations towards AJM and has at least eight years of experience can be elected as AJM President.
The AJM President shall have a four-year term with the possibility for re-election.
The AJM President shall:
- Present and represent the AJM;
- Convene and chair the Management Board sessions;
- Apply the decisions of the Assembly of the AJM and the Management Board;
- Sign the acts adopted by the Assembly, the Management Board as well as the other acts made by the AJM;
- Declare the AJM awards and certificates of merit;
- Sign the AJM’s accounts;
- Perform other tasks assigned by the Assembly and the Management Board in accordance with the Statute and other general acts and obligations taken by the AJM.
In case of permanent impediment or procedure for the removal of the President, an extraordinary Assembly is convened within a maximum of 60 days.
V.4. AJM SUPERVISORY BOARD
The Supervisory Board shall consist of five members elected by the AJM Assembly from the ranks of the AJM;
The Supervisory Board members shall elect the Supervisory Board President from their ranks.
The members of the Supervisory Board shall have a four-year term, without the possibility for re-election;
The term shall be indivisible. In the event of early termination of a Supervisory Board membership of a certain member, the new Supervisory Board member would replace and shall complete the term.
The Supervisory Board may operate validly if its number does not fall below three, in which case it is considered that its dissolution has taken place.
The Supervisory Board shall:
- Control the implementation of the Statute and other general acts of AJM;
- Control the material-financial operations of the AJM;
- Controls the appropriated disposal of AJM’s assets and revenues; Submits report on its findings and decisions to the AJM’s Assembly at least once a year;
V.5. COUNCIL OF HONOUR
The Council of Honour shall be an organ of the AJM.
The Council of Honour shall consist of five members elected by the AJM’s Assembly from the ranks of the regular members of the AJM.
Its working quorum shall be three members.
The members of the Council of Honour shall elect the Council President from their ranks.
The members of the Council of Honour Board shall have a four-year term, with the possibility for re-election;
The term shall be indivisible. In the event of early termination of a Council of Honour membership of a certain member, the new Council of Honour member would replace and shall complete their term.
The Council of Honour shall submit an annual report on its work to the AJM Assembly.
The current operational organisation and working of the Council of Honour shall be regulated by acts proposed by the Council of Honour to the Management Board, and adopted by the Assembly.
The Council of Honour shall;
- Monitor the application of principles and provisions of the Code of Journalists of Macedonia;
- Review cases and launch procedures concerning members of the AJM;
- React independently and publicly and issue value opinions/judgments in case of violation of the principles and provisions of the Code of Journalists of Macedonia;
- Independently initiate or propose a debate in the other bodies of the AJM on the events in public information that are violating the principles and provisions of the Code of Journalists of Macedonia;
- Launch initiatives to the AJM Management Board for modification of legal provisions or by-laws that disable or violate the principles or provisions of the Code of Journalists of Macedonia;
- Hire external experts and consultants for the needs of its operations.
- EXECUTIVE OFFICE
The Executive Office shall consist of the Executive Director and the other staff.
The Executive Director shall choose the staff on the basis of principles of efficiency, competency, integrity and disposable resources.
The organisation and work of the Executive Office shall be regulated by acts adopted by the Management Board upon a proposal by the Executive Director.
The Executive Office’s scope of work shall include performing of the professional, organizational and administrative affairs of the AJM, service the AJM organs and administrate the policy and programmes approved by the AJM.
The Executive Office shall:
- Monitor and analyze the professional and social trends from the area of the AJM’s work;
- Prepare the sessions of the Assembly and the Management Board of the AJM;
- Update the AJM’s Membership Register regularly, at least once a year;
- Manages and coordinate the AJM’s planned activities determined by the annual and financial work plan;
- Prepare the mid-term and annual work plan and financial plan;
- Manages the financial funds for securing of highest level of refund, mobilize new funds, negotiate and propose making of agreements with donors and other financiers and reports to the Management Board;
- Perform office affairs, keep transcripts, manages and keep the archives and perform accounting;
- Submits work and financial reports;
- Prepare documentation and is in charge of application, analysis and evaluation of the programme activities;
- Hires independent expert assistance for the AJM’s needs;
- Be in charge of PR activities;
VII. EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
The Executive Director shall be professionally employed by the Association;
The Executive Director shall be accountable for their work before the AJM Management Board.
The Executive Director shall have a four-year term with the possibility for re-election.
The Executive Director shall be the main administrative official of the AJM.
Shall participate in the work of the Assembly and the Management Board without the right to vote.
The Executive Director shall run and manage the working process of the AJM’s Expert Office and plan, organize and apply its operations.
The Executive Director shall be the signatory of the Association’s accounts, with a limitation determined by the Management Board;
The rights and obligations, as well as the work description of the Executive Director shall be determined by a managerial contract prepared by the Management Board and the agreement with Executive Director shall be signed with the President.
The Executive Director shall, primarily and particularly:
- Monitor and analyze the situations and problems in the activities of the AJM;
- Communicate and cooperate with other related domestic and international organizations and institutions;
- Be in charge of the AJM’s strategic planning and propose periodical and annual programmes and plans for work and financial plans to the Management Board;
- Be responsible for carrying out of the programme and work plan, as well as the financial plan;
- Submit periodical and annual work reports, as well as a financial report to the Assembly via the Management Board;
- Prepare the acts for organization and work of the Executive Office and establish and evaluate the indicators of the job achievements of the Executive Office;
- Perform other actions within their competence entrusted by the Management Board and the Assembly in accordance with the law, Statute and the Association’s general acts.
VIII. REGIONAL CENTERS AND SECTIONS
The Association’s Regional Centers are a form of territorial organization of the members aiming at more efficient actions of the AJM.
The Regional Centers are organized based on their functionality and territory.
The Regional Centers are formed upon a decision of the AJM Management Board.
The organization and work of the Regional Centers shall be regulated by acts adopted by the AJM’s Management Board.
The Regional Center shall:
- Carry out the AJM activities on a regional level in accordance with the principles and provisions of the Code of Journalists of Macedonia for the purposes of the AJM set by this Statute and the annual AJM program provisions;
- Initiate procedures before the Council of Honour regarding its scope of work;
- Submit periodical reports before the AJM’s Management Board regarding the activities and financial funds allocated for the Regional Center’s work;
- Be in charge of representation of the professional interests and rights of its members in the AJM.
In order to improve the coordination and professional representation of the interests and rights of specialized groups of journalists, as well as to exchange experience and launch collective actions in areas of its own professional specialization, Sections of Journalists can be established within the AJM.
A statutory decision for establishing of a Section shall be adopted by the AJM Management Board upon an initiative by at least ten regular members of the AJM.
The organization and work of the Section shall be regulated by acts adopted by the AJM’s Management Board upon a proposal by the Section via the AJM Executive Director.
The Section shall propose activities and initiative before the Management Board and Council of Honour of the AJM.
- AWARDS AND CERTIFICATES OF MERIT
The AJM shall present the following awards and certificates of merit:
- The ‘Krste Misirkov’ award shall be presented for lifetime achievement;
- The ‘Jashar Erebara’ award shall be presented for one-year journalism achievement;
- Special certificates of merit for journalists working for media in the Diaspora;
- Special certificates of merit for individuals and institutions helping the work of the AJM.
As an exception, AJM may decide not to grant any award or to grant other awards or recognitions.
- TERMINATION OF THE WORK OF THE AJM
The AJM work shall be terminated:
– Provided at least two-thirds of its members reach a decision for termination at a Regular or Extraordinary convened Assembly;
– Provided the number of members reaches below the one determined for establishing of the Association;
-Provided conditions anticipated by a law or other regulation concerning the work and existence of the Association emerge.
Following the legal termination of the work of the AJM, the property and other rights and incomes that remain, after the obligations are settled, shall be transferred to an ownership by a legitimate legal heir. On the contrary, the property shall remain in the ownership of the state.
XI TRANSITIONAL AND FINAL PROVISIONS
In accordance with the statute, the priority rulebooks under the Assembly’s competence that shall further define the work of the AJM shall be:
– Rulebook on Membership and Membership Fees;
– Rulebook on Election and Work of the Management Board;
– Rulebook on Election and Work of the Supervisory Board;
– Rulebook on Work of the Assembly;
– Rulebook on Election and Work of the AJM President;
– Rulebook on Election and Work of the Council of Honour;
– Rulebook on Election and Work of the Verification Commission.
In accordance with this Statute, the following rulebooks that shall further define the work of the AJM, whose adoption shall be delegated to the Management Board, shall be:
– Rulebook on Establishing and Working of Sections, Working Groups and Other Bodies;
– Rulebook on Work of Regional Centers;
– The Management Board is obliged to prepare and adopt the Rulebooks from paragraph 2 of this Article within 30 days after it is established.
Amendments to the Statute shall be adopted by the Assembly upon the proposal of the Management Board which shall enter into force immediately. Authentic interpretation of the provisions of this Statute is provided by the AJM Assembly at a session of the Assembly.
The Management Board shall interpret the Statute’s provisions between two assemblies.
President of AJM,