The Association of Journalists of Macedonia (AJM) was founded in 1946. AJM is member of International Federation of Journalists (IFJ).
AJM is an independent, non-governmental and non- political party organization whose purpose is to be the protector and promoter of professional standards and freedom of expression.
Specific objectives of the AJM are:
- Defend freedom of press, radio, television and other media;
- Fights against their abuse, the creation of monopolies and any form of censorship that affects the determination of truth, complete, unbiased, updated public information;
- Protects and promotes the freedom of rights and responsibilities of journalists, based on the Constitution and laws of the Republic of North Macedonia, Statute and Acts of AJM, and international documents concerning the freedom of the media, and the exercise of expression and information as basic Human Rights;
- Protect the reputation and dignity of the journalists and the journalistic profession and protects and promotes freedom of critical and creative work; and
- Represent its members in front of the community and actively participates in the preparation of legislation and inter-national conventions of interest to the profession and defend the journalistic interest in regards of the Code of Ethics.
Journalists in North Macedonia working the in media with ensured basic rights and freedoms, basic professional and material conditions for work are guarateed, high solidarity among them in cases of violations of freedom of expression, and professional standards, ethics and integrity of the journalistic profession.
AJM is the leading national organisation that unites journalists in the Republic of North Macedonia to protect freedom of expression, independent media, through commitment to respect the highest European standards for the work of media and journalists. It aims to increase the journalists’ solidarity and unity, as well as raising the level of professionalism and ethical standards among journalists of Repulic of North Macedonia.
``Freedom of belief, conscience, thought and the public expression of thought are guaranteed. Censorship is prohibited.``
Article. 16 of the Constitution of the Republic of North Macedonia
The Assembly elects the President, the Management Board, the Supervisory Board and the members of the Council of Honor as the highest body of AJM.