Macedonian Young Lawyers Association in partnership with the UN Refugee Agency UNHCR and the Association of Journalists of Macedonia, announces a “Public call for award for professional reporting on the situation of refugees and stateless persons in the Republic of North Macedonia for 2022”.
Submissions should fall into the following categories:
- An article or series of articles
- Multimedia product
The submissions should focus on the experience of refugees, asylum seekers, potential asylum seekers and stateless persons, as well as contribute to the familiarization and raising of awareness of the general public on topics related to them.
All submissions will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Represents an author’s journalistic achievement published in a medium during 2022 (from 01.01.2022 to 31.12.2022)
- Contains authentic stories about the experience of refugees, asylum seekers and stateless persons
- Shows sensitivity and respect for refugees, asylum seekers and stateless persons
- Avoids sensationalism and stereotyping
- Candidates are citizens of the Republic of North Macedonia
The submissions and photos will be evaluated by a Commission composed of prominent journalists, photojournalists and media experts from the Association of Journalists of Macedonia, members of Macedonian Young Lawyers Association and representatives from the UNHCR Representation in North Macedonia. The commission will evaluate each submission individually focusing on how the refugee/stateless person’s story is portrayed and whether it contains features of professional and sensitive reporting.
- One can compete with a maximum of 3 attachments/articles/photos/multimedia products;
- Journalists with stories that were produced with the support of UNHCR cannot take part in the competition;
- Written articles to be sent in PDF version, with publication date;
- Multimedia products to be sent via WeTransfer, with a specified publication date;
- Photos should be in JPG format, at least 2000 pixels on the longest side and 300 dpi resolution, mentioning the medium and publishing date.
All submissions should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of the public call in the title field; or to be sent by post/delivered to the Macedonian Young Lawyers Association office at St. Donbas 14/1-6, 1000, Skopje in a closed envelope, with the name of the public call indicated on the envelope;
More information regarding the public call and how to submit the contributions can be obtained from Nita Chavoli at tel. 072 224 581 or at email@example.com.
The best ranked will be awarded three prizes in the total amount of MKD 90,000, namely:
- First prize 40,000 denars
- Second prize 30,000 denars
- Third prize 20,000 denars
The Commission reserves the right not to award a particular award if the applications do not meet the criteria.
The application deadline is July 30, 2023.
The selection of winning stories will be announced in September 2023.